Thursday, October 11, 2012

Arugula Flood and Drain Table



Unfortunately my arugula didn't do as well as I had hoped with the floating styrofoam ebb and flow system. So I'm trying something different this time around. I filled one 4x4 flood table with approximately 60 liters of expanded clay pellets. I adjusted the water level so that I could just sprinkle the seeds over the top so they would get wet but not float. You can see how already, at day 4, the seeds have grown tiny roots that are attached to the porous lava rock.

Day 4





The arugula is getting 12 hours of light per day from a 1000 watt metal halide grow light. The light is about 3' above the plants. They are only a little over a week old today and are growing nicely. I will have to thin them out when they get a bit larger. Arugula sprouts taste amazing so I will just add them to dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Katie

    I'm from Binh Phuoc Province, VietNam. I'm really want to known more about hydroponic. i have a shop in my town. We sell hydroponic systerm, but have a problem. That's we don't a water-pipe like you. We have circle pipe. I want square water pipe.
    My email is: ngockienbinh@gmail.com
    Plz give me your email. I will send your my systerm. Thanks

    ReplyDelete